Sunday 26 February 2012

Blue Ripple Blanket Ta Da

Let me introduce you to my new mellow blue ripple blanket. Ta Da!
It's kept me occupied since early December but now it's all done.  A bit of a relief as I found crocheting a blanket this size in one stitch a bit tiring on the hands.
I followed Lucy at Attic 24's Neat Ripple Pattern.  A starting chain of 20 multiples of 14 plus 3 stitches makes the blanket wide enough to drape either side of my king-size bed.  110 rows means it is long enough to reach the pillow-line.
My colour palette was inspired by a Lighthouse-Ripple-Blanket on Flickr and I originally planned to use random colours.  But it's tougher than I thought to choose colours that go just right together.
So once I hit on something that worked I stayed with it and kept going.  I am very happy with the final result, it feels very balanced with three sets of colour repetition in the middle and matching start and finish rows.
Completed in Stylecraft Special DK with a 3.75ml hook.  Here's my mid-project yarn collection.

From bottom to top, colours are:
Aster
Cloud Blue
Silver
White
Midnight
Denim
Silver
White
Sherbert
Colours purchased but never used:
Royal (blue)
Graphite

Ripple Stats
110 Rows (2 rows for each coloured band)
Weighing in at 1.2 kg.
125 cm long by 185 cm wide.
Using just over 3.5 Kilometres of yarn.
I used Stylecraft Special DK acrylic yarn throughout, approximately 12 balls of wool.
Total yarn cost, only £18.
At least 45 hours work, over the last three months.

Well worth it.
Nellie P

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Those blues and greys are fantastic and have made one very pretty blanket.

    ReplyDelete